Sunday, October 2, 2011

Book Review: I Believe in You

Part of being a mindful parent is choosing positive books that reinforce the lessons we want kids to learn. Educational books that teach specific school-type concepts are great, but it's also important to pick books that help us pass certain values on to our kids. I had the opportunity to review I Believe in You by Marianne Richmond. This book stirred up emotions in me, as a kid who went through tough situations but had very loving, supportive parents.

Everyone from toddlers to high schoolers needs to hear from their parents that they believe in them - not with false expectations or generic praise, but with specific examples of what makes kids special. This book manages to be specific, yet universal. One of my favorite lines is, "I believe in your awesome skills to shine another way."

The beautiful illustrations and soft rhythmic rhyme will keep the attention of younger kids, yet not bore older kids. If you have kids who are struggling to find their place, or just want a book to read to start the message early that you believe in your kids, this book is a great choice.

Disclosure: I received a complementary copy of this book to facilitate my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment