Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Mindful Parenting: Supporting Each Other

There's a lot of judgment that occurs between moms. Cry-it-out vs. rocking to sleep. Breastfeeding vs. bottle feeding. Extended breastfeeding vs. quitting at 12 months. Free range vs. helicopter. Working vs. SAHM vs. WAHM. 

I've felt implicit judgment for a lot of the decisions I've made - extended breastfeeding, co-sleeping, free range parenting, raising kids bilingual, or our educational choices. And it's not fair - we all do what we think is best for our families. One of my friend has 4 kids, and adopted 2 additional special-needs kids from China. I'm sure she feels judged at times. But I think she's a wonderful mom with lots of love to share.

Granted, some parenting decisions are unequivocally wrong. But so many are a gray area. There are so many things we don't know as moms. Instead, we need to support each others' choices, and if we offer advice, do it in the spirit of camaraderie, not judging.

If you agree, feel free to take the Strong Moms Empower pledge.

Disclosure: I am participating in a blog campaign with One2One Network. I have not received any payment. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment