Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Buying Green: Shaklee Cleaning Products

You may or may not have heard of Shaklee before. I've always been a little leery in the past, because I have several relatives who sell the products and are so over-zealous about them that they've fallen into the "must be too good to be true" category. And I've never really looked into their environmental impacts before, although I remember my aunt saying that they were better than alternatives.

I recently got a chance to try two of the cleaning products, Get Clean Fresh Laundry Concentrate and Get Clean Basic H2 Organic Super Cleansing Concentrate. Both products are biodegradable and contain no phosphates, so they're safer for the planet than many options. They're also very concentrated, so the products last a long time and require less packaging. They're also nontoxic (although I wouldn't recommend drinking them). My only big complaint is that the label doesn't disclose all of the ingredients, and that information is a little hard to come by, which is often important for people who are really conscious of what ingredients they use. You have to call the company; that's about the only way to get a full ingredient list.

But the bottom line is, they work, and are better for the planet than many alternatives. The H2 performed just as well as other cleaners, if not better. As far as the laundry concentrate - my toddler is in cloth diapers, so anything that can get them smelling fresh and clean is going to work on anything! I was very happy with the performance of both products. And given my experience with them, maybe I will be ordering from my aunt next time she sends out a newsletter!

Disclosure: I received complimentary bottles of cleaner to facilitate this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment